Thursday, September 27, 2001

THIS HEADING WILL BE THE HEADING TO UMBRELLA THE REST OF THE HEADINGS


Re: Citation Styles

My top two:

2. Modern Language Association
1. Modern Language Assocation (Rusty Spell Variant)

Can I assume that The Bluebook uses footnotes, your favorite?

Re: Bookology

Bookology is this game put out by Amazon.com that I bought for Liza (oh, and for me too: I'm not fooling anyone) for Christmas or her birthday or something. A favorite among the board game/card game crowd that used to meet a bunch in Noby's back room on the glass table. It's basically questions about books where you guess the author or title (or both, if you're playing by the hard rules). Not quite Trivial Pursuit for Books, but close enough. I always wanted a game where it was just the literature questions of Trivial Pursuit, and this was close enough. (And now in the new "genuses," they've taken out the literature category altogether--bastards!)

Re: Lori's Resumes

I think your student cheated. Especially on the "very intelligent" part, which is the most true thing of all. I'm amazed.

Re: Jason's Directions

I just say "down" for everything. "I'm going down to Jackson" (when in Hattiesburg), etc. "But, Rusty, Jackson is north of Hattiesburg." Yeah, but "up" and "down" is wrong anyway, since up (if anything) means "off the planet" since the earth is round. Even then, it could just as easily be "down," unless you mean "down" to be "into the earth."

Re: Jason's Top Ten Classic Arcade Games

RUSTY'S TOP TEN CLASSIC ARCADE GAMES


10. Zoo Keeper -- mostly for the superannoying and loud sound fx
9. Popeye -- even though it's frustrating to me now, I really liked it as a kid when I was good at it
8. Road Blasters -- something I discovered only a few years ago that I used to play a lot
7. Joust -- a classic Rusty and Tony (my brother) game: "Sorry, didn't mean to land on your head," while playing teams
6. Dig Dug -- fun to watch things explode
5. Bubble Bobble -- I promise this isn't on the list because you reminded me of it; I discovered it a few months ago and fell in love with it as "the gayest game I'd ever seen," though I don't say I'm any good at it
4. Rampage -- a pointless game, but fun to smash stuff and eat people
3. Burger Time -- I can't help it somehow; though I'm sure that mine and Noby's "Taco Duck" will be an improvement: "Duck!"
2. Track and Field -- maybe because I'm a drummer and most of the game is based on how fast you can hit the buttons
1. Karate Champ -- the simplicity of the fighting always got me more than something like Mortal Kombat

And furthermore...

RUSTY'S TOP FOUR BUBBLE BOBBLE GAMES


4. Bubble Memories -- the same game (as Jason says) with more monsters; #4 in gayness ranking
3. Bubble Bobble 2 -- the same game with doors; #2 in gayness
2. Rainbow Islands -- not the same game, since you use rainbows to climb things, trap things, and kill things; #1 in gayness
1. Bubble Bobble -- great cute gay game where you're a bubble dragon shooting your bubbles on wind-up toys which turn into fruit when you pop them; #2 in gayness

All of these and more to be found at Mame.dk, the best site (that I've found) for arcade emulator roms for your computer. Noby still says he's going to build an arcade machine which will allow you to play all these games on an old-timey machine rather than just using a keyboard.

Re: Fortenberry

She works at the English department.

Re: Transformers

I've told this to a few people, but I never liked "boy" cartoons growing up. I never liked G.I. Joe or The Go Bots or Voltron or anything like that. I was more into stuff like The Smurfs, Muppet Babies, The Chipmunks, and what became my favorite Saturday morning cartoon (though it isn't now), The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley.

I never too much collected boy toys (you know, like Madonna) either. I had one G.I. Joe which I called "G.I. Joe" (it was "Clutch," but I didn't care); I had one Go-Bot (the red car) and didn't really like the complexity of the Transformers. I mostly had stuffed animals or figurines of Snoopy (my sister had his sister Belle) and the Chipmunks. My typical Halloween costume would be Snoopy-related or something like the cartoon The Biskitts. Snoopy is still my favorite cartoon anything.

Re: Lori

I'm happy to see Lori here too. I'm still waiting for Noby to join in, but maybe he's working on his arcade machine...

The Simpsons

I bought the Simpsons DVDs. Good stuff. First season not as crappy as I remember, though mostly I'm snickering and sniffing loudly instead of hurting at the sides like they did to me in later years. I guess I'll be in pain when they come out in a few whatevers. I'm watching the episodes, then listening to the commentary (which is mostly good), then reading the scripts if available (yep, I'm a dork; I like to see what was taken out and changed and mostly Groening's written comments and changes and suggestions), then saving all the third disc extras for when I'm done.

R U S T Y

No comments: