Tuesday, February 19, 2002

Jason does some more respondifying

I think the main problem with Buffy this season is how heavy-handed and ultra-serious some of the writers have handled all the angst. I've read that creator Joss Whedon hasn't been quite as hands-on this season as before, being all busy starting production on the Buffy animated series, the Giles spinoff, his new sci-fi series Firefly, and yet another possible series that's been hinted at, not to mention the Buffy-related comics he's written. Maybe the other Buffy writers need him around more to keep them from going over the top on stuff like they have--particularly with Willow's storyline this season, which has practically turned the show into an Afterschool Special at times. Angel has somehow managed to stay much more stable quality-wise... despite the annoying way they still introduce major new plotlines, then completely ignore them for a few months before finally doing anything with them.

Anyway, after tonight's episode of Angel, I think I've figured out why I'm liking it more this season--I can really identify with the characters more than the ones on Buffy nowadays... but that's actually pretty depressing, I suppose.

DVD Animania says that Waking Life is tentatively scheduled for a DVD release in April, so hopefully I'll finally get to see it then. (I seriously doubt it'll be playing in Starkville, Mississippi anytime before the Earth gets swallowed up by the sun, despite the theater there having had a poster for it...)

Now that Miss Cleo's been busted, maybe she'll stop sending me all those urgent emails about how she had a dream about my future. Assuming she already hasn't... I wouldn't know, since I have my mail filters working overtime to reject them all. You know it's probably only a matter of time now before NBC starts airing Law and Order: Psychic Hotline Fraud Unit. The way things are going, pretty soon the only shows on TV will be either Law & Order or Buffy spinoffs. Then they'll have no choice but to make Law and Order: Vampire Slayer Unit.

No comments: