Saturday, November 03, 2001

Introducing the Bloggy Fun Club


As almost promised, everyone who's currently signed up on the Bloggy Email Dump Truck, whether they've written or not. With photos. Basically, the amount of space devoted to your name is determined by how big a picture you happen to have.

Jason Bell

Jason and I met in high school when we were percussion people together. We roomed together at school for several semesters. We now make long trips together while listening to Sifl and Olly compilations created during the glory days of Napster. Jason Bell is a very common name, but this Jason Bell is not a common person. No ho ho! No indeed! No one else I know managed to be at the right place at the right time to capture the exact moment when a ninja attacked Jeff.

Lori Berkemeyer

Lori and I met in eighth grade in art class, because I was cool and she was cute (and she still is cute). We talked about Narnia, and we haven't been able to get rid of each other ever since, even though we've tried several times. I have a box of Lori letters that is a priceless literary posession; our correspondence shall be made into a book one day. Lori is very tall, and with special shoes and hair, she looks even taller than me, though she's not -- barely. She maybe could have been a sports star, but she had trouble picking up a bat one day when we were playing sofball. Lori lives in strange countries so I don't get to see her much. I'm still waiting for the day that Lori and I have all the time in the world together. Maybe in Narnia.

Tommy Burton

I met Tommy in eighth grade on the set of a play we did in drama, where he was doing Jesse Jackson impressions and saying "poof poof" when he invisibly applied my makeup for my scenes. Tommy's a really loud guy, and I'm the quiet one. We don't have a straight man and comedy man, we have loud and quiet; that's our comedy. Tommy and I talk about music and David Lynch and the best way to store CDs and how I'm an idiot for filing my DVDs by director. This picture is me and Tommy being Robert Brenton, which is the name of our band in which we perform classics like "Bumper Stickers" and "I'm 100% Sure I'm Not That Baby's Daddy." Tommy and I like to get under the warm covers together.

Nyleva Corley

I met Nyleva in my second year in the graduate program where she was being an English person along with me. She walked me to my on-campus mailbox to pick up a delivery of The Magnetic Fields' 69 Love Songs which made me cool and her cool. She knew my girlfriend Liza from undergraduate school, and Nyleva introduced us, though she doesn't profess to be a matchmaker in case anything goes wrong. Nyleva is one of the last true riot grrrrrls and she's a really good dancer and has a cute voice and we like similar music, though the girls in her music could kick the guys in my music's butt. Nyleva lives in Texas, which is a long way from here, so we write email or talk on the phone or just pine for each other. Nyleva's a perty gal.

Carrie Hoffman

I met Carrie this semester in the graduate program where we make up stories together. If I never had a sister, Carrie would be the sister I never had. I remind her of her brother, and she reminds me of everyone I know (that I like) rolled into one person. Carrie and I sat on the couch tonight at the English party and told each other each other's life stories, which she was better at doing than me -- and then I got shat on, but not by Carrie. Carrie and I were separated at birth. Oh, and that's her in the picture as a robot singing to the robot audience in my next music show. If I had a non robotic picture, I would put that up because (a) Carrie's a cute girl with glasses and a pony tail who needs to be seen and (b) because she's over robots now.

Kristina Lucenko

I met Kristina this semester in the graduate program where she writes poetry while I'm writing stories, although she can also write stories and everything else because she's all talented. She really doesn't look like Thom Yorke, but she's going to marry him or something. I actually have a picture of Kristina as a little girl, but I haven't scanned it in yet. But I shall, because she was a cute little girl, and she is a cute older girl as well. All of my friends are cute, at least the gals. I have something against ugly people, which is a problem I have. Kristina and I are watching Twin Peaks together, since she digs cool movies and David Lynch and stuff. She's in a band called More Dead Cats which will record an album anyday now at the famous Love and Letters Studios to be produced by me. Kristina rides a bike.

Liza Marshall

I met Liza on 1 Nov 1999, which was two years and two days ago, which means we've both broken our records for keeping boyfriends/girlfriends. Liza is my foil, aluminum and otherwise. We're Sonny and Cher. We're Belle and Sebastian. We're Stephin and Claudia. Our favorite word is "diggy." Liza can paint and draw and manipulate photos and take pictures and cross-stitch and figure out mind-twisting puzzles and she would be the vampire slayer if it weren't for Sarah Michelle Gellar. She's smarter than me, which is saying a lot since I'm brilliant. She's hot: a "hottie," if you will. She allows me to be a beacon of hope for skinny losers everywhere, like Drew Barrymore to Tom Green. That's a picture of us with a poster of Fire Walk With Me above our heads. Judy's gonna get us. Liza makes me feel like a kitten purr.

Danny McGreger

I met Danny sometime as an undergraduate when Tommy introduced us, but my first experience of Danny was seeing him on videotape acting like he was laughing for about ten minutes at a silly little magazine. Around here, most of us see each other one tape before we meet in person. It's not quite screening, but it could be. Danny is a music man. He writes songs of the goodly persuasion. He can play guitar better than me. He can play keyboard better than me. He can play trumpet better than me. I must kill him now. Danny can be really funny while being nice, which is a hard thing to pull off, since most people, to be funny, need to be assholes. Danny keeps a very clean house and cooks good hamburgers. He enjoys a Spree from time to time.

Noby Nobriga

I met Noby in sixth grade when we were in the drumline together, and we were actually in the same class together in fifth grade (though we didn't really meet somehow, only knew of each other) and we had an art class together in third grade, though we barely knew of each other then too. At any rate, Noby is easily my oldest pal that's still around. He taught me everything I needed to know about computers and electronics and music recording and videotaping and editing and things of that nature to help me become the genius I am today. Noby makes games and plays games and knows 48 different languages and he was once known to be in a van. Noby carried the big bass drum in high school. He is 1/3 of our oldest band, 'nikcuS, which we invented and recorded the first album for when we were mere fifteen year olds... but well after we were professionals in the world of recording fake radio shows and video productions. Noby has a hockey stick.

Ray Romano

I never met Ray Romano, except through this blog, but he's a very funny comedian who has a mediocre sit-com. This is a picture of him and his family with Little Billy Cosby. Ray Romano was funny on Dr. Katz a lot, when he was a cartoon. Todd Townsend does a good impression of Ray Romano, and he's the only person I know who does an impression of Ray Romano. Who impersonates Ray Romano? Of course, now Tommy and me and even Liza do impressions, all thanks to Todd. But little thanks to Ray Romano himself, since he's never come up to me and introduced himself, the bastard.

Rusty Spell

I met myself when I was born, but I really came into my own when I was about 3 1/2. I'm trying to get back to that state again. I picked this picture because Liza likes it. It's me and my first keyboard, which I am hugging because it is so dear. When you turn it on, it goes "dinga dinga dinga ding!" That shows how good it is. I'm 26 years old, which is still a rather young age for someone who's been around so long and done so many famously great things. I write stories and make music and my music is so good that people book me for "Conventions" without my even knowing much about it. I make movies and take pictures and make sure that my books are exactly one inch from the edge of the bookshelves. I do things sometimes without thinking and get shat upon. I teach, which is what some people know me as soley: the guy who comes in and teaches them English. Which is an odd thing to think, because it wasn't until minutes after typing this that "teacher" even came to mind, even though it's how I make my money, and how people make money is typically how people are recognized. I have goofy things happen to my watch, which makes me believe in hobgoblins.

Steph Tai

I met Steph in Memphis at a Lately David show when Jason introduced us after he not having seen her since elementary school, which is where she is in this picture (along with Jason himself, or "me"). Since then, Steph and I have been writing emails... about what I can't remember, but we did it pretty regular for a while until Steph started jet-setting all over the place, which I think she's settling down from now. Steph is a fancy lawyer person. She's another cute gal. She likes similar music to me, and likes the fact that I re-made 69 Love Songs. Steph is the reason I'm blogging today. I might not recognize her if I saw her for time #2, since apparently she keeps reinventing/hiding herself.

Todd Townsend

I met Todd at some point in high school, though I should remember the exact day since Todd is the funniest guy I know. Pound-per-pound the funniest, though he claims that Tommy and I are the funniest guys he knows and that he learned everything he knows from us, which I find hard to believe. I watched Cannibal! The Musical at Todd's house, which was an experience. Remember the Ray Romano guy? That was Todd. Todd and I share similar opinions that I won't go into, but which we discussed late nights at Tommy's house. Whenever Todd's name is mentioned, I say, "Whoah... Todd..."

Amy Wilkinson

I met Amy this semester in the graduate program where we write stories about characters that should hook up. Amy isn't really a swanked-up Smurfette, but I don't have a picture of her either, so I looked for a blonde and came across this swanky Smurfette. Amy's as cute as Smurfette, and as nice. People are suspicious of Amy for being so nice. "Why's she so nice? What's she up to?" Some people call Amy "Kim." In fact, I called her Kim once in my head, I think because there are so many Kims around, so why not one more? Amy was one of the first of the new batch of grad folks I met in the English department, and she soon won my respect by volunteering to sing in my show. Luckily, by the time she chickened out, I already thought she was cool -- so her plan worked. Amy is a computer nerd, but she's a tall hip skinny attractive female, so she's all about defying stereotypes.

That's all she (I) wrote. Feel free now to write about each other in a similar way. Avoid looking for photos and links, though, if you want to save time.

No comments: