Monday, November 12, 2001

I'll try to make it to the big show tomorrow if I can (though that's looking kinda unlikely). Hope you're feeling better, Rusty

I finally saw High Fidelity this weekend. Why on earth did it take so long for me to see this? (Well, I can partially blame Tommy's convoluted movie-selecting processes for a few instances I wanted to see it but didn't...)

Top 1 thing that bugged me about High Fidelity
1. The part where they mention Evil Dead II, but seem to be confusing it with Army of Darkness, which is actually the third Evil Dead movie.

Top 5 uncool things I saw when I went to a big flea market in Tupelo this weekend:
5. Grocery items that were months past the expiration dates
4. Air in a can
3. Various T-shirts with thinly-veiled in-your-face sexual innuendo and jokes so bad that I felt ashamed to be standing within sight of them
2. Rectangular clocks whose faces were nice little paintings of Jesus, Mary, and angels. They had little red LED lights in lines of varying lengths imbedded into the pictures in seemingly random locations, not outlining anything in particular, and blinking in random intervals.
1. T-shirt depicting the US Capitol building flying a Confederate flag, with the words "I have a dream" printed in big bold letters (being worn by some guy)

Top 5 cool things I saw when I went to a big flea market in Tupelo this weekend:

5. A dead lizard (the lizard itself was cool, not the fact that it was dead)
4. Old vinyl rock LPs
3. Puppies and birds
2. Sugar gliders (little flying-squirrel-like marsupials, the size of your average hamster or gerbil)
1. Amanda (my friend who I was there with, and who spending time with really made up for the lack of cool stuff at the flea market)

The following is a Blog I typed up offline intended to post Friday afternoon, but couldn't post until today, because of the stupid phone company letting the static on our line get worse and worse, and not bothering to listen to our complaints and check it out until it became completely impossible to dial out. Enjoy!

Spam

Well, I check my email today, and wow... I got a message from former Baywatch babe Geena Lee Nolin! I'm like, gee, what is this Hollywood hottie writing to me about? Could she be the mysterious stranger who reads the Blog every day, and want to comment on some anecdote she found amusing? Could she have visited my website? Is she perchance a LunchBots fan? Unfortunately, it turned out to be an advertisement for her syndicated TV show, Sheena, and it wasn't even sent by her at all. I was really disappointed, but then I got an email from CDNOW with a special 15% discount for me, and only me. (It said so in the subject line... "Jason, Just For YOU -- a 15% Discount at CDNOW!" Geena Lee Nolin may not love me, but at least CDNOW does.)

The Smurf web translator is one of the least-impressive ones I've seen, unfortunately. My favorite is The T'inator. The pictures and links to audioclips it randomly inserts place it head and shoulders above other webpage translators in my book. Unfortunately, it refuses to pity Blogspot webpages, so we'll never know how badly the robot here could be pitied.

The Tick: Well, Rusty, you saw the best part of the show, so be glad you turned it off when you did. It was just the pilot episode, so maybe things will improve as the season goes on. And maybe X-Files will be really good this year. And maybe Iron Chef USA will be just as good as the original. And maybe Lone Gunmen will get better... oh, wait.

Family Guy is pretty good stuff. Didn't impress me much early on, but it's really grown on me. It's like it's picking up the creativity and originality that the Simpsons writers have slowly lost over the last few years. I wish Fox would just make up their minds about whether they want the show or not... I mean, it's been cancelled and renewed like a dozen times already.

I first noticed Family Guy creator Seth McFarlane's name in the credits of the early episodes of Johnny Bravo, which had a lot of that same style of humor (though understandably lacking the more adult-oriented jokes) and comedic timing, before Cartoon Network got rid of the whole creative team and replaced them with a bunch of people who completely revamped the show (and not for the better). McFarlane's a lucky guy. According to a news report I read, if his travel agent hadn't goofed up his itenerary for September 11th, causing him to get to the airport too late to board the ill-fated flight from Boston he was booked on, he wouldn't be here now.

Last night, Tommy came over and helped me and my dad replace my vehicle's alternator. (My dad handled all the actual doing of stuff. Tommy held the light, and I supervised and said useful stuff like "Wait, we should put the belt back on before tightening that bolt.") Then Tommy and I went off on a quest to find that movie he's been trying to find whose title escapes me at the moment. Didn't find it, but we did discover the huge DVD section at Hollywood Video, where he rented some other movies. We watched a highly satisfying double feature of Nosferatu and Shadow of the Vampire, saving Cannibal! The Musical for some other time.

No comments: