Monday, July 08, 2002

Rants and stuff...

I really have nothing to rant about these days. Life is still good for me. I still like 2002. Beside a couple of bad things, it's been a bowl of oysters. Speaking of which...I really want some oysters. I'm a picky eater, but I enjoy the seafood. I mean real seafood. Not this MS home grown catfish stuff. I like the clams and shrimp...you know, stuff from the SEA.

David Bowie's new CD is really good. I picked up a couple more Alex Chilton solo records recently. Rusty, what's your deal? You should like Alex Chilton more than you do. Then again, I've stopped trying to figure your taste in music a long time ago. I'm even to the point of making you your very own LX compilation, so you won't listen to it. Yes. That's how desperate I am. Like Flies On Sherbert is a brilliant, wreckless little masterpiece. Mr. Chilton is truly one of the fathers of indie pop/rock. Along with Mr. Reed. Those are the granddaddies as far as I'm concerned. But Rusty probably won't like LX because I like him so much. I think Weezer is the only band (probably The Beatles) that Rusty and I both share a common love/adulation for. In most other cases, if one of us likes a band or artist a WHOLE LOT, the other won't. Oh, yeah...we both like REM, but I don't know why anymore. There's a couple of middle folks we both kinda like, but it seems the more I love Pete Townshend, the more inclined Rusty is to hate him. It's like my love feeds his hatred. Is that a rant? Can that count?

I picked up the new Beach Boys collection as it was compiled by Brian Wilson himself. Yeah. I'ma sucker. Capitol Records can always sucker me for a buck when it comes to The Beach Boys and The Beatles. I have every single song on this compilation with the exception of the "bait." The bait is a new Brian Wilson song called "California Feeling." Plus the packaging. I am a nut for pakages when it comes to my music. So, while there are still tons of albums I need/have to own, I shelled out another 15 bucks for basically one Brian Wilson song and a bunch of pictures I already had and some goofy liner notes written by Brian ("I really sung this one good.") I love him ,though. Maybe that's a rant, too. Or maybe just a confession of my own stupidity.

I really also like Rusty's new installment in the 69 Love Songs Trilogy. What's up with Liza? It's great, but almost pointless. I guess it's no longer my job to figure out Rusty and his music stuff. I've said that already, though. It's still a good listen. I should stop analyzing and just enjoy music. Wait. That's the secret to my whole life! Stop analyzing things and simply enjoy them. I should be a freaking guru.

The Who's bassist, John Entwistle died last week. He was a monster bassist, really. The Who decided to go on with their current tour. The early reports have been really good. The first leg of the toru ended yesterday with Pete smashing a guitar. I love that man. I know most folks think it's pointless to do such a thing. I probably couldn't explain the need for it. But I'm sure it had to do with a sort of cathartic release. Pete has been known to pummel guitars into submission, something I have been unable to do myelf. I try, but I haven't gotten there yet. When the guitar is smashed, it becomes almost a release of the the poor instrument. "I have tortured you all night and now, you will be sacrificed." Like I said, it probably still doesn't make sense, but I totally buy it. My religion is Rock and Roll, so...
Tommy Presley

No comments: