Sunday, June 23, 2002

Wish I Wasn't Here
(or Yet Another Member of the Robot Rants and Whines About Something)


Car was in the shop all week. Get it back Friday, just in time to go out of town for the weekend. Stupid thing dies a few miles from the house and won't start for about 45 minutes. I get back on the road and try to make my way back home (or at least to a convenient place where I can leave it parked and get indoors out of the heat) and it dies again in the turn lane right in front of the gas station down the road from my house. A police-assisted push and another 45 minutes or so later (not to mention phone calls to everyone in town I could think of, none of whom could help), I finally get it started again and make it home. Got it fixed today... turns out it was just one lousy stupid little corroded wire telling the car it was overheating, when it really wasn't, and shutting down the engine. A little too late for my trip, and I'm still pretty exhausted from spending all that time in the hot car, and my leg is all cramped up. Ow.

Well, Steph, it's pretty much inevitable that someday you're going to have a computer with a DVD-ROM drive (assuming you don't already), and you're going to be tempted to succumb to the DVD-watching obsession the rest of us here have. Of course, at least with watching shows and movies on DVD you can be in total control of when you watch, and don't have to sit through the commercials and crap they throw at you on TV... Join us... Join us...

Bedtime...? What is this... "bedtime" thing of which you speak, Steph? I'm unfamiliar with the concept.

This thing bothers me. I think there are some inanimate objects just shouldn't be turned into cute cartoon characters, and toilet paper is one of them. Think about this: It looks so happy, and it doesn't know what it's going to be used for... or it does know, and is still happy... Ew.

Maybe San-X is just running out of ideas for characters. That might explain the cat. Or maybe they're secretly using the cat to try to hunt down and take out Hamtaro and the Ham-Ham Gang as their popularity grows.

One of these days, I'm gonna actually remember to email Steph like I've been meaning to. I'm just stupd and lazy sometimes.

Minor annoyance of the day: Since Suncoast is selling trade paperback collections of Japanese comics at cover price, then why do they feel compelled to put price stickers on them? They're not even bar-coded stickers, just plain ones with "$9.99" hand-written on them. It already says that on the cover and on the big display that they have them in. The clerks just scan the barcode on the cover at the checkout, so they don't need it. At least it's an easy-to-peel-off sticker.

Less-minor annoyance of the day: I demand strict enforcement of the "20 items or less" policy at supermarket express lane checkouts! Do I keep getting stuck behind people who can't read? Or people who somehow lack the ability to count? I also demand more of those self-checkout lanes like they have at the K-Mart in Jackson. I rarely have any reason to go there, but damn those things are convenient.

Ending this on a non-rant-ish note: I don't know if anyone else is, but I'm looking forward to the Powerpuff Girls Movie in a couple of weeks. They're showing the Devo music video on Cartoon Network right now. Go Monkey Go!

No comments: