Monday, October 01, 2001

No headline.

I had to turn down Tommy's offer of going north this weekend to Hernando to hang out with the band and some hot babes he said might be there. But it's all good, because I got to spend the weekend a little less north at my hot babe friend Amanda's house, having fun with friends, watching movies, eating pizza and mexican food, trying to find a store in the area that sells heavy outdoorsy jackets that aren't camo-patterned, and playing with dogs and cats and other various furry, feathered and scaled critters.

Aaaah! I can't believe I forgot about Tron and Zaxxon! I played both way more than Xevious, so I guess one should probably replace #10 on my list. Tron probably. I remember Zaxxon being a little too slow-paced for my tastes. Centipede and Millipede get honorable mentions too.

Ah yes... Mame. Great fun way to waste your life away.

In the old video game magazines I used to look at the '80s, they would have advertisements for arcade-style game cabinets that you could mount a tv set and your Atari 2600 or ColecoVision or whatever in, so it would look like you were playing a real arcade game. I always thought something like that would be neat to have. Hurry up, Noby.

Bubble Bobble's riveting opening sequence


A while back (before I could find an arcade emulator that would support Bubble Bobble ROMs) I bought the PC version of Bubble Bobble from the Office Depot bargain bin. It's a pretty faithful adaptation of the arcade game, except for a stupid stupid stupid glitch that prevents you from playing the "Super Bubble Bobble" rounds. (See, after you beat the game once, you get to go through it all again, but with tougher monsters.) It did come with Rainbow Islands, which was my first encounter with that game. (My initial thought seeing R.I. and trying to play it without having any idea what I was getting myself into: "What the $@#%!?!?")

I watched the Smurfs up until they started going nuts adding new Smurfs to the village. I thought it seemed really lame the way they did that instead of simply giving personalities to the 80 or so nameless Smurfs that were never given anything to do.

I had a dream the other night that I actually could remember. I was at Disneyworld, and I went for a ride on the Return of the Jedi Speeder Bike Ride. I was a little disappointed that you didn't ride replicas of the actual speeders from the film, but stood on a hovering platform with a motorcycle-like steering column on front. It was the last ride at Disneyworld (because apparently you now go through all the rides at the park one right after another in a specific order--it cuts down on the waiting in lines), so after zooming around the big redwood forest they have there in Orlando, I headed to the register at the checkout and paid my bill (hey, it was only six bucks and change!). I was hungry, so I walked on over to the grocery section they have at the exit. I picked up a jar of salsa, then looked down at it, and it had changed into a jar of salad dressing. That was okay, because we were out of thousand island at the house anyway. There were giant (about three times normal size) unpackaged Hostess Cupcakes sitting there in the salad bar. Turned out they weren't really made by Hostess--one of those cheaper store brands like those "Cream Fingers" Twinkies substitutes Tommy, Danny, and I had that one time--but they looked really good, so I grabbed one that was iced properly (there were some that had the little white swirly line in the wrong place, and some with more than one). With my cupcake and my salad dressing in hand, I headed out the door and woke right up.

No comments: