Friday, October 26, 2001

I'm sorry, blog bot!

Yeah, I sux. I don't want Mr. Bloggy McBloggerblog or whatever the hell his name is to die on us, so I'm posting here right now, even though I may not have anything witty to say. Or anything whitty for that matter. You know, I wonder if any of those people who were voted "whittiest" [sic] at our high school gave a whit about just what it was they were being voted. There were always people far smaller and more inconsequential than the ones who won the "whittiest" title. I think those votes were just a popularity contest anyway (except for "most popular" of course, which was purely based on behind-the-scenes political wheeling and dealing).

Man, you know when I'm one of the more frequent posters somewhere, then there's just something horribly wrong. Hey, all you new people on the team! Who are you? Post! Don't let Rusty's robot die!

Following up on a previous bloggerism of mine, the Space Ghost episode with Tenacious D has been postponed, new airdate yet to be announced.

I wish I could enjoy all the cool new DVD goodness that's out. At least I got to borrow Tommy's Episode Un DVD so's I could enjoy the Jar-Jarifficness of it all and discover all the bonus bloopers of Artoo falling over. And thanks to Rusty and Tommy I got to watch Freddy Got Fingered two nights in a row, which has now scarred me for life.

Unfortunately DVDs cost money, so I can't get all the hundreds that I want and still be able to do essential stuff like eat and build my Gundam army (which is now four mobile suits stronger thanks to the recent arrival from Japan of my beautiful Hyaku-Shiki, Gelgoog Cannon, Shin Matsunaga's Zaku, and Camouflage Zaku... as if anyone actually cares).

Here's a few of my most recent DVD acquisitions:
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie: Got a used, coverless copy off of Half.com really cheap, since it's out of print and most used DVD sellers sell it for at least 40 bucks, which is way too expensive for this DVD. Extras? IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE AN ACTUAL MENU! It's probably a miracle they even bothered to do chapter stops on the thing. Unfortunately there's a moratorium on the title that'll probably last forever because of a big dispute where Universal complained that Image Entertainment's pricing on their DVDs was way too low or something like that. I tell ya, the original retail price of $15 was TOO MUCH for this. Love the movie, though. Not as good as most of the TV episodes, sadly.

The Princess Bride Special Edition: This thing's just loaded with extras. Still have one of the commentary tracks and a couple of the four behind-the-scenes featurettes to watch. Glad I held off buying the standard edition.

Serial Experiments Lain Volumes 1 and 2: Great mind-@&#!ing anime series about a very-near-future world where the internet and technology have become so pervasive in everyday life that the lines between reality and the "Wired" world are blurring. Beautifully designed and disturbing visually and dramatically. I've never been so creeped out by the low-frequency hum of electrical devices. I need to hurry up and get the final two volumes.

Tenchi Muyo! In Love: Replacing my old VHS copy of this. It is of course the first animated feature film based on the Tenchi Muyo! anime series, which is one of the more popular shows of that peculiar Japanese sci-fi-fantasy-dramatic-action-adventure-romantic-epic-sitcom genre.

That's all I gots fer now. Friday night Rusty and I travel to Memphis to meet up with Tommy and company and go see Mulholland Drive, followed by the big(?) festival Lately David is playing at on Saturday. Yay!

No comments: