Wednesday, October 17, 2001

DVD Heaven

All the DVDs that have come out in the past few whatevers:

The Simpsons: Season One: Good stuff. First season not as un-funny as we remember, though still not hernia funny like later seasons. Commentary and other extras nice.

Snow White: Watching this and then seeing The Emperor's New Groove for four seconds on TV made me realize how far Disney has sunk since the late 30s. Snow White is good, though my favorite Disney movies are still probably Fantasia, Bambi, and Pinnochio. I've waded through some of the extra stuff, but not nearly all. So far, so good. It's got one of those Walt "commentaries" like in the Fantasia DVD that comes from various recordings and notes. Haven't listened to yet, but it was the best thing about the Fantasia extras.

Star Wars I: Just bought today. Haven't watched. School and teaching and job searching and comp studying and crap like that are interfering with my real life of media. Poop. But I like the stupid movie, even though it's got Jar-Jar too much. I asked Liza if she wanted to watch it with me this week, and she said, "Can we fast forward through the Jar-Jar Binks parts?" I said, "We could get through it in twenty minutes." Maybe less. Apparently, there's like six hours worth of extra stuff, so I should just take my time with it.

Freddy Got Fingered: The most anticipated DVD release of the year (by me, at least--maybe only by me), this actually doesn't come out until the 23rd, but Tommy called me from Wal-Mart the other night at midnight saying that they set out a display for it, and he bought one. Apparently, only the Pearl, MS Wal-Mart released it, since it's not at our Wal-Mart or anywhere else I've seen. I wonder how they got away with breaking the street date by a week and a half. Anyway, I'm not in a hurry to get it, since I will want to dedicate my life to it when I do and I don't have time yet. The funniest movie ever made? Yeah, probably.

The Godfather Trilogy: Don't have this because it costs a lot. If you want to get it for me for Christmas, you can ("you" meaning "all of you"--if you pitch in, it shouldn't be too much apiece).

The Stanley Kubrick Collection: Even more than the Godfather, you should get me this. It will take about sixty more dollars worth of pitching, but whoever pitches can have a festival with me.

Cannibal! The Musical: This isn't new, but it's new to me. I bought it and some South Parks the other day to help complete my Trey Parker collection. Tommy and Todd and I laughed our skinny butts off. Everyone should see.

Fun With Numbers: One day Noby will be technological enough for us to make our own DVDs, and then we'll put Fun With Numbers and Tuesday Afternoon Pre-Recorded and Rusty Spell's Videoland and all the other stuff we've made that's currently suffering in VHS hell onto the format of the future and clean it up all nice and good, adding the Jabba the Hut scenes to all those places we originally wanted to put it.

BVD: The undewear I like to wear when I watch DVDs, since it rhymes and since that's what my dad calls DVDs (not sure if he's joking or not).

Laserdiscs: I never had one of these. I figured they wouldn't catch on.

Divx: The stupidest format ever.

8-Track: Everyone makes jokes about 8-tracks, but they kinda were deserving of having jokes made about them.

Back to the Future: I'll be glad when this is on DVD, since Noby and I reference it almost every day of our lives.

Sludge: A word that isn't used too much anymore.

Carrie Hoffman: Person who's short story I'm about to read, along with three others. It's already half past midnight, so I'll be up late when I should be (ready for the looparound?) watching DVDs!

R U S T Y S P E L L

No comments: