Thursday, May 09, 2002

The Robot Lives

Yay! I'm not the only one who still remembers that there's a robot here!

Diet Dr Pepper is the stuff that's supposed to taste like the original (and it pretty much does, except for some small trace of something unfamiliar--almost a hint of maybe a metallic taste, if you ask me). Plus, it's still got plenty of the good caffeine content of the original to keep you going. I've had caffeine-free Coke before, and didn't mind it much. Caffeine-Free Dr Pepper however is an entirely different creature. (And I suspect it may, in fact, be a creature of some kind. Possibly that "black oil" lifeform from the X-Files--drinking it does seem kind of like drinking motor oil, or at least what I imagine drinking motor oil must be like, seeing how I've never actually imbibed motor oil.) It doesn't even taste much like the original, leaves me feeling queasy after drinking it, and is in general an abomination against all that is good in this world.

I exaggerate though. It turns out if you mix small quantities of the caffeine-free stuff in with the real thing, it can be safely consumed, and this 2-liter my horribly misguided parents got for me won't have to go to waste after all.

I liked Spider-Man. Really, really good for a comic-book-to-movie adaptation. Very true to the spirit of the character and the story. I simultaneously get a kick out of and frustrated by a lot of the dumber criticisms of the movie I've read from people. (There's this really laughable one on the Aintitcool.com talkbacks that I can't stop thinking about--the poster says that the fact that Aunt May never gave Peter his pancakes (actually wheatcakes in the comics) or that May and Ben never gave Peter the microscope they did in the comics somehow ruined the impact of certain scenes, but then goes on to suggest that Mary Jane become the Black Cat in the sequel--which is a totally different character... Hopefully a joke post, but not too far removed from a lot of other rantings about the movie.) I think most of them just don't get the point--that Spidey's not supposed to become some badass who does everything right and knows what he's doing, gets the girl and becomes a huge winner. That it's about his struggle to grow into a responsible man, even if it's at his own expense and not the cool thing to do. He's "the Woody Allen of the superhero world" as Stan Lee has called him.

I don't have Quicktime reinstalled on this thing yet (Quicktime and my computer never got along much anyway), so I haven't seen the Kaiju Battel footage yet, but judging from the rest of the site... uh... yeah... heh. Godzilla & Power Rangers-style monsters in real-life wrestling matches, heh.

Yay for Dr. Rusty!

No comments: